Saturday, July 11, 2009

What'cha Cooking: Hot Dog!...Corn Dog That Is!

Today for lunch I decided to try out the recipe for Corn Dogs from Hillbilly Housewife. They came out wonderful! Sorry ya'll that is not my picture of my corn dogs....they did not stick around long enough for me to snap a pic.

I had a lot of batter left over..but not to fear! I just turned the extra batter into corn fritters....I added some extra sugar and mixed it right in the cup and dropped the batter into the already hot oil and the children LOVED IT!

They were crispy on the outside but soft in the inside! It was a hot dog of a lunch!


Recipe

1 cup milk

2 medium eggs

1/4 cup oil

2 tablespoon sugar

1 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons baking powder

1 1/3 cups corn meal

2/3 cup flour

1 to 1- 1/2 pounds of hotdogs

1/2 cup flour (for dusting)

Oil for deep frying

Popsicle sticks


In a large bowl combine milk, eggs, oil, sugar and salt. Mix very well. Sprinkle in the baking powder, corn meal and flour. Stir up until it is a slightly thick batter.

Use a paper towel to dry off hotdogs make sure they are nice and dry then dust with flour, coat them completely or the batter won't stick. Then shove the Popsicle sticks into the floured coated hotdogs and then set aside.

While your doing all of that heat up your oil until it is almost smoking but not smoking.

I poured my batter into a cup that was longer then my hotdogs and I dipped the hotdogs into the batter. Let the excess batter drip off and then drop into the hot oil and fry.

Only put two hotdogs at a time so that they fry properly.


God Bless!

1 comment:

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

Homemade corn dogs?! My mouth is watering.